Looking for an on-campus job? How about a job you don't even have to leave your building to get to? Housing & Residential Education is currently looking for motivated and knowledgeable student leaders to be a part of our team! Our operations teams include all desk and outreach positions and ensure that everything is running smoothly for current and incoming students.
Please Note: Student Leader appointments are for the entire academic year. Candidates must be able to commit to a position for both the fall and spring semesters.
These positions are customer facing and there may be times when you interact closely with fellow residents, staff, and guests. HRE and the University of Utah are committed to upholding state and national health guidelines to ensure your protection.
Operations Selection Process
Operations Student Leader position descriptions and applications are listed here for current and future opportunities. After completing an application, selected applicants will move forward to the next step in the process: an individual interview with staff.
Come join our event team! Our Event Set-Up Assistants ensure residents, staff, and guests have a positive experience while visiting our spaces. This part-time position is responsible for event service, client attention, and overall logistics of events by way of set-up and tear down of equipment (tables, chairs, etc.) and testing AV equipment to ensure that it is functional.
Applications for the 2021 – 2022 year will launch May 1. Please check back then for more information on the position and application instructions.
After completing an application, selected applicants will move forward to the next step in the process: an individual interview with HRE staff and Student Leaders. Individual interviews are specific to each position. You will have an individual interview for each position that you apply for. For example, if you express an interest in the DA and HA positions, you will have two separate individual interviews. If you express interest in only one position, then you will have only one individual interview. The individual interview is estimated to take approximately 30 minutes for each position. Once the application has closed, we will review the applications and offer interviews to selected applicants.
- If offered an Operations Student Leader position, you will be asked to submit information (i.e. Social Security Number, date of birth) for a background check. You will also be required to complete a Federal I-9 Employment Verification form.
- Student Leader appointments are for the entire academic year. Candidates must be able to commit to a position for both the fall and spring semesters.
Residential Education Selection Process
The Residential Education process includes Resident Advisors and Social Justice Advocates. The Resident Advisor and Social Justice Advocates application will open on October 18, 2021, and be due on January 13, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. All positions will require a resume and a professional reference. Please have your resume document ready to upload (in PDF form) when you begin the application. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns.
Prepare a current resume including; but not limited to: history of involvement, educational background, creativity and innovative practices, and/or a list of accomplishments you would like HRE to consider. For resources on resume building, please visit the Career & Professional Development Center.
All candidates applying to be an RA or an SJA will work through our application and interview process. Since our process has several steps, we have outlined those below so you can have an idea of what the timeline looks like for your application, interviews, notification of your status, and additional next steps.
- Application Open: October 18 at 8 a.m.
- Necessary Materials Needed for Application
- Application Deadline: January 13 at 11:59 a.m.
- After all applications are received, we will check candidate grades to ensure all candidates meet our GPA requirements
- Initial GPA Check Requirement: January 17-20
- New Candidates must meet both the previous semester (fall 2021) and Cumulative GPA requirement of 2.5 to be considered for a Student Leader position
- Candidates will then be invited to a Canvas course with additional information about the positions and items to work through as part of the interview process.
- Invites Sent on January 21
- Deadline to Complete: January 31 at 11:59 p.m.
- Canvas module should take approximately 2-3 hours
- Individual Interview Requirement: February 10 or 11 (in-person; virtual option by request)
- Approximately 30 minutes
- Group Process Requirement: February 17 or February 18 (in-person; virtual options by request)
- Approximately 1-2 hours
- Notification of standing in the process (placement, alternate, not selected): March 18
- Deadline to Accept or Decline Potential Placement: March 28 at 11:59 p.m.
- Student Leader Welcome Event: April 27
- Approximately 2 hours
- Final GPA Check Requirement
- Once spring 2022 semester grades have been submitted