Break Housing is for housing between academic periods. There are two different Break Housing periods between semesters (May and August), and an additional opt-in Break Housing period for residence halls that close over Winter Break:
|May Break||Between spring closing and summer move-in|
|August Break||Between summer closing and fall move-in|
|Winter Break||Opt-in for students in residence halls that close for Winter Break; between fall closing and spring move-in|
Students are eligible for Break Housing if they were HRE residents for the current semester and they have a reserved space for the upcoming academic semester.
Students residing with us for both academic periods must tell us their plans for the break. In addition, Winter Break, the period between fall closing and spring move-in, is not included in residence hall contracts (Chapel Glen, Gateway Heights, Sage Point, Officers Circle, and Kahlert Village).
Types of break housing
- Same Room Stay - if you are staying in the same room for both academic periods and will be here for the break period, you may be able to stay in your same bedroom.
- Same Room Storage - if you have the same room for both academic periods but will not be on campus during the entirety of the break period, you can store your belongings in your bedroom for the break.
- Room Change - if you have a different room for both academic periods, HRE will arrange your move to your new space during the break period. You must be available the entirety of the break to move on a date determined by HRE.
- Storage through Dorm Room Movers (DRM) - if you do not have the same room for both academic periods but are interested in storing your items, you can sign up through DRM with the link provided in the form of your Housing U portal.
Winter Break Housing
Students living in communities that close over the break must vacate their spaces by 2 p.m. on December 18, 2021. Students can move back into their spaces at 9 a.m. on January 7, 2022.
If students who live in those communities would like to stay on campus for winter break, they may reserve rooms in the University Guest House. Students will reserve rooms directly through the University Guest House and do not need to apply through HRE.
Kahlert Village residents: Students living in Kahlert Village have the following options over the winter break period:
- Depart Campus: Students living in Kahlert Village will not have access to their rooms December 18, 2021-January 7, 2022 for the winter break period. Residents may leave all items in their room, but they should pack any items they need during that time. Residents will return to their same room on January 7 for the spring semester.
- Extend Your Stay: Residents may sign up to remain in their room for the winter break period for an additional flat rate of $585. Applications are due in Housing U by December 8.
NOTE: All Kahlert Village residents are required to fill out the End of Fall Semester Plans form in Housing U by December 8. This form will allow residents to indicate if they will be signing up for Winter Break Housing or departing campus at the close of fall semester.
Buildings closed for winter break:
- Chapel Glen
- Gateway Heights
- Sage Point
- Officers Circle
Buildings open for winter break:
Housing is open continuously and rent is charged to the resident in these areas.
- Benchmark Plaza
- Block 44
- Downtown Commons 1 & 2
- Kahlert Village**
- Lassonde Studios
- Marriott Honors Community
- Shoreline Ridge
**Kahlert Village is open over Winter Break and available for an additional cost.
Guest House Information
- Rooms are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request accommodations.
- Students must stay the full break from December 18, 2021 - January 7, 2022 to receive discounted rate.
- $60/night for single or double occupancy
May Break Housing
Students with both academic year 2021-2022 and summer 2022 housing contracts are eligible to participate in May Break Housing for an additional fee. May Break is the period between spring closing and summer move-in. The form opens on April 1, 2022 in Housing U, accessible through your CIS account. More information will be shared here once available.
Same Room Stay: TBD
Same Room Storage: Free
Room Change: TBD
Dorm Room Movers: Varies
August Break Housing
Students with both Summer 2022 and academic year 2022-2023 housing contracts are eligible to participate in August Break Housing for an additional fee. August Break is from August 7-19, between summer closing and fall move-in. The "End of Semester Plans" form will open on July 1 in Housing U, accessible through your CIS account. The deadline to register for August Break Housing is July 19. If you have questions about Break Housing sign ups after this deadline, please contact our office.
NOTE: All summer 2022 residents are required to fill out the End of Semester Plans form in Housing U by July 19. This form will allow residents to indicate if they will be signing up for August Break Housing or moving out at the close of spring semester.