Break Housing is for housing between academic periods. There are two different Break Housing periods between semesters (May and August), and an additional opt-in Break Housing period for residence halls that close over Winter Break:
|May Break||Between spring closing and summer move-in|
|August Break||Between summer closing and fall move-in|
|Winter Break||Opt-in for students in residence halls that close for Winter Break; between fall closing and spring move-in|
Students are eligible for Break Housing if they were HRE residents for the current semester and they have a reserved space for the upcoming academic semester.
Students residing with us for both academic periods must tell us their plans for the break. In addition, Winter Break, the period between fall closing and spring move-in, is not included in residence hall contracts (Chapel Glen, Gateway Heights, Sage Point, Officers Circle, and Kahlert Village).
Types of break housing
- Same Room Stay - if you are staying in the same room for both academic periods and will be here for the break period, you may be able to stay in your same bedroom.
- Same Room Storage - if you have the same room for both academic periods but will not be on campus during the entirety of the break period, you can store your belongings in your bedroom for the break.
- Room Change - if you have a different room for both academic periods, HRE will arrange your move to your new space during the break period. You must be available the entirety of the break to move on a date determined by HRE.
- Storage through Dorm Room Movers (DRM) - if you do not have the same room for both academic periods but are interested in storing your items, you can sign up through DRM with the link provided in the form of your Housing U portal.
August Break Housing (Aug. 7-19, 2021)
Students with both Summer 2021 and academic year 2021-2022 housing contracts are eligible to participate in August Break Housing for an additional fee. August Break is from August 7-19, between summer closing and fall move-in. The "End of Semester Plans" form will open on July 1 in Housing U, accessible through your CIS account. The deadline to register for August Break Housing is July 19. If you have questions about Break Housing sign ups after this deadline, please contact our office.
NOTE: All summer 2021 residents are required to fill out the End of Semester Plans form in Housing U by July 19. This form will allow residents to indicate if they will be signing up for August Break Housing or moving out at the close of spring semester.
Same Room Stay: $480
Same Room Storage: Free
Room Change: $480
Dorm Room Movers: Varies
Winter Break Housing
Students living in communities that close over the break must vacate their spaces by 2 p.m. on fall closing day. Students can move back into their spaces at 9 a.m. on January 7, 2022. However, if students who live in those communities would like to stay on campus for winter break, they may reserve rooms in the University Guest House. Students will reserve rooms directly through the University Guest House and do not need to apply through HRE. Students can move back into their spaces at 9 a.m. on January 7, 2022.
Buildings closed for winter break:
- Chapel Glen
- Gateway Heights
- Sage Point
- Officers Circle
Buildings open for winter break:
Housing is open continuously and rent is charged to the resident in these areas.
- Benchmark Plaza
- Block 44
- Downtown Commons 1 & 2
- Kahlert Village**
- Lassonde Studios
- Marriott Honors Community
- Shoreline Ridge
**Kahlert Village is open over Winter Break and available for an additional cost.
Guest House Information
- Spaces are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Students are encouraged to call the Guest House as soon as possible.
- Students do not need to stay in the Guest House for the full break and can choose only the dates they need housing.
- Students are eligible for a special student rate:
- $90/night for a single room with a king sized bed
- $90/night for a double room with queen sized beds (students are welcome to share this room and split the cost)
- **Note: These rates are only valid for students
- Housekeeping service will enter the space to remove trash daily, but changes will be limited to once a week. Students can request towels and other amenities from the Guest House front desk.
- For more information and to make a reservation, call the University Guest House directly at 801-587-1000
May Break Housing
Students with both academic year 2021-2022 and summer 2022 housing contracts are eligible to participate in May Break Housing for an additional fee. May Break is the period between spring closing and summer move-in. The form opens on April 1, 2022 in Housing U, accessible through your CIS account. More information will be shared here once available.
Same Room Stay: TBD
Same Room Storage: Free
Room Change: TBD
Dorm Room Movers: Varies