Application & Reservation Process
1. Apply for housing by the priority date
- 2021-2022 Academic Year housing: Students should apply by the April 1 priority date to receive a reservation time. Applications received after April 1 will be able to reserve an available space once Open Sign-Up begins on April 26 beginning at 9 a.m. (MT).
- 4/26/21 Update: Housing & Residential Education is currently running a waitlist for 2021-2022 Academic Year housing. More information about the waitlist process can be found on our Waitlist webpage.
2. Roommate Match
- There is time for students to reach out to potential roommates through an automatic match, or to confirm a preferred roommate.
- (Note: Spring semester contracts are based on room availability. The roommate search/match process may not apply.)
- For students interested in creating a roommate group for academic year housing, all students in the group must submit their applications by the priority date. More information on how to create a roommate group can be found by watching our educational Roommate Group video.
3. Apply for a Living Learning Community?
- Students may also complete their application to live in a Living Learning or Theme Community, who have a priority to reserve their rooms before the general room reservation process begins. The priority deadline for living in an LLC or TC is March 10, 2021.
- (Note: Spring semester contracts are based on room availability. Students may apply for an LLC/TC option if available).
4. Reserve Your Spot
- Spring Semester housing (only): Students select a space to reserve upon submitting a housing application. There are no reservation times assigned during spring housing application process.
- 2021-2022 Academic Year housing: Students who submit their application before the priority deadline will receive a reservation time in April. At this time, students will be able to log back into the Housing U system and select an *available space.
*NOTE: HRE does not guarantee housing. All available spaces that a student is eligible to live in (based on LLC/TC preferences and class year) will be available in the application to reserve at the student's reservation time. Once all available spaces are reserved, Housing will begin a waitlist for students interested in living on campus. Waitlist are normal, and our full process can be found here.
Admitted to the University of Utah
Students that have been admitted to the University of Utah may complete their online housing application, search for and reserve a room, match up with a roommate, and sign up for optional services through their Housing U account. Students may access Housing U by logging in to the Campus Information Services (CIS) website and selecting Housing U under the Student Housing section.
Minimum Credit Hour Requirement
Undergraduate students living on-campus through Housing & Residential Education are required to enroll in a minimum of 12-credit hours. Graduate students living on-campus are required to enroll in a minimum of 6-credit hours. Prospective residents should make note of this requirement when applying for housing beginning February 10, 2021.
Minimum Credit Hours Appeal Process:
If exceptional or extenuating circumstances might keep a student from meeting the minimum credit hours requirement during their time on campus an appeal can be submitted. These circumstances may include medical, financial hardship, expected graduation, or other “unique and unusual” considerations. In order to live on campus with less than the required amount of credits an exception must be granted. Please fill out the “Request for Credit-Hour Exception” form below. We will begin processing your request upon completion of the form. Should you have questions on the form or about the process, please contact Michael Pepe at email@example.com. Students will be notified of their approval or denial via their Umail account.
How To Apply
- Log into CIS
- Under the" Student" section, select "Student Homepage"
- Click on the “Student Housing” tile
- Select “Housing & Residential Education” from the left-hand menu, then click “Housing U”
- Click on the "Apply for Housing" tab
- Select the term you are applying for
Note: If you receive an error page when trying to access "Housing U" through your CIS account, please contact our office and we can solve this issue for you. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and UID indicating that you are unable to access the application because of the error page.
|2021 Spring Semester||Housing for the 2021 spring semester opens on November 1, 2020. Students are able to reserve a space at the time of submitting the application.|
|2021-2022 Academic Year||Housing application will become available on February 10, 2021.|
|2021 Summer Semester||Housing application will become available on February 10, 2021.|
Please be aware that it normally takes 24-48 hours from the first time a student logs in to the Campus Information Systems (CIS) page for the Housing U section to show on new student’s CIS page.
The Application Contains the Following Information:
- STUDENT INFORMATION
Fill out contact information, view and agree to the Housing & Residential Education policies, sign an electronic agreement and pay the $130 non-refundable application fee. Students must complete these parts of the housing application and pay the application fee by the priority housing application date in order to receive a reservation time.
For the 2021-2021 academic year housing application, students will be given a reservation time if they submitted their housing application prior to the priority deadline (April 1). Students who submit an application anytime between February 10 and the priority date will receive a reservation time. Starting at this reservation time, students will be able to access the reservation portion of the application. Summer or spring semester only contracts will not require a reservation time for students to reserve a room.
Students will be able to select a room, choose a meal plan and add optional services. Students will also be required to pay the $200 reservation fee within 72 hours of selecting a room.
For students who have created roommate groups within the Housing application:
- Students in a roommate group will be given the same reservation date and time.
- Students will need to confirm their room reservation by paying the $200 reservation fee in the application within 72 hours.
Students do not have to be paired with a roommate to reserve a room during their reservation time. Roommate matching is based on what students selected in their profile questions earlier in the housing application.
It is important to know that Housing & Residential Education does not match students to be roommates and does not assign students to rooms.
We have created this tutorial video that describes the process of creating a roommate group below.
Housing and meal plan charges are included on your tuition bill through University Income Accounting. To learn more about rates and your Housing account, visit our rates page.
For payments, please reach out to Income Accounting directly.
Living Learning Communities (optional)
Complete the Living Learning Community (LLC) application and agreement
- Make sure to review the Living Learning and Theme communities you are interested in as some require a separate application to the partner.
- There is an earlier priority date for the application consideration for Living Learning and Theme Communities (March 10, 2021). We want to ensure students interested in these communities have an option to reserve prior to the start of the other residential communities.
This agreement is a copy of the agreement that students agree to in the housing application process for reference.
If you no longer intend to live on campus, please visit the Move Out page, paying particular attention to the Contract Cancellation information. In addition, if you are a newly admitted student and you will not be attending the University of Utah, please contact the HRE Office at email@example.com or 801-587-2002. In addition, you will need to alert the Office of Admissions, follow the "Not Attending" link on the right hand side of the page and complete the survey.