Community in Action Scholarship
The Housing & Residential Education Community in Action Scholarship provides emerging leaders with the opportunity to live on campus their first year of college with their room and board expenses covered. Scholarship applicants must demonstrate leadership potential through previous engagement in community service and leadership experiences in high school, on a university campus or in the community. The scholarship is funded through a partnership between University Dining Services and Housing & Residential Education.
During the year they receive the scholarship, recipients are expected to actively continue engaging in their leadership development. This may be done by becoming involved with the Associated Students of the University of Utah (ASUU), the Residence Halls Association (RHA), or by continuing involvement within the community.
Scholarship Award & Availability
Housing & Residential Education’s Community in Action Scholarship is a one-year scholarship covering the cost of a double room in Heritage Commons, meal plan 15, RHA dues, and the housing application fee. This scholarship is valued at approximately $9,896 for the academic year. The scholarship can be applied toward various other housing types and locations within Housing & Residential Education. If the room type or meal plan you choose is more expensive than what is covered, you are expected to pay the difference in cost. The scholarship will be awarded on a semester basis to incoming first-year students who continue to meet the eligibility requirements. Two scholarships are available each academic year.
1. Applicant must be an incoming first-year student.
2. Applicant must be enrolled in the University of Utah as a full-time student for (at least 12 credit hours per semester).
3. Applicant must maintain a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA at the University of Utah.
The following will also be taken into consideration when awarding the scholarship:
1. First-generation college student status.
2. Demonstrated financial need.
3. Identities under represented at the University of Utah, including ethnic and cultural minorities, LGBTQ students, and women.
Application Deadline: Spring 2019 (Date to be announced)
Scholarship Decision: Spring 2019 (Date to be announced)
To apply : Please submit the following through the online application:
1) A resume outlining your community service and leadership experience.
2) A one page-essay detailing how receiving the Community in Action Scholarship will support your success at the University of Utah.
3) A letter of recommendation from someone within the community that can attest to your leadership or involvement work.
Apply for the Community in Action Scholarship Below (the application link will be posted soon).
Please note that if you are selected to receive the scholarship, you are responsible for consulting with the Financial Aid Office to determine what impact the scholarship may have on any financial aid you will be awarded.