The University of Utah is actively monitoring the worldwide spread of the respiratory illness COVID-19. The University’s COVID-19 webpage is being updated regularly, and we encourage you to check it frequently for important updates. University of Utah Health also has a helpful webpage with FAQs, practical tips about how to protect yourself from COVID-19, and more.
Housing & Residential Education Updates
Extension Period & Winter Break Housing
To align with the University of Utah’s modified academic calendar and online instruction period, HRE has made adjustments to fall 2020 housing for residents living in residence halls.
Residence hall areas include:
- Chapel Glen
- Gateway Heights
- Sage Point
- Officers Circle
- Kahlert Village
For students living in the above-referenced communities, residence halls will close at 2 p.m. on November 25, 2020. These residents have the option to remain in their spaces during the online instruction period for an additional cost. Otherwise, residents will be required to move out by 2 p.m. on Nov. 25. Students will be able to move back into their spaces for the spring semester beginning January 8, 2021, at 9 a.m.
Online Instruction Extension Period (November 25 - December 12, 2020)
Residents who wish to remain on campus during the online instruction period are required to complete the form in their Housing U portal. The cost is based on the student’s room type and is a flat rate that reflects the entirety of the dates from November 25 - December 12. The student’s meal plan will also extend during this period for an additional cost. Residence hall residents participating in the extension will move out by 2 p.m. on December 12, 2020. For students interested in remaining on campus for winter break, please see the options below.
The changes above do not apply to residents living in off-site properties (Block 44 and Downtown Commons 1 & 2), on-campus apartments (Benchmark Plaza, Shoreline Ridge, Marriott Honors Community), or Lassonde Studios. Instead, the online instruction period and Winter Break dates are built into the cost that residents pay for the full academic year. More information can be found on our Break Housing page.
Winter Break Housing (December 12, 2020 - January 8, 2021)
Chapel Glen, Gateway Heights, Sage Point, & Officers Circle Residents:
- Students who opt into Winter Break housing can request a room at the University Guest House. Residents will pay a special student rate and may choose to stay for any number of nights needed.
Kahlert Village Residents:
- Students will have the option to participate in Winter Break Housing in their academic year room or through the University Guest House. Otherwise, students will need to move out of their space by December 12, 2020.
- Students who request to remain in their residence hall room will pay a flat rate of $420.
- If a student does not wish to remain on campus for the full break, they may also request to stay in the University Guest House for a reduced nightly student rate.
Apartment and Lassonde Studios Residents:
- Winter Break is included in housing contracts for residents living in Benchmark Plaza, Block 44, Downtown Commons 1 & 2, Lassonde Studios, Marriott Honors Community, and Shoreline Ridge. Residents can access their space during winter break as they wish and no additional action is needed.
Updates to Housing Agreement - Action Required
Earlier this week, we sent you an email with initial information about housing for the fall 2020 semester. While on-campus housing room types and occupancy will remain the same, your residential experience will look different to support the health and well-being of our community. Updates have been made to the housing agreement to ensure residents understand modifications that are in place to address COVID-19 on campus. All fall 2020 residents are required to complete the “Resident Addendum to the Housing & Residential Education Agreement” form in the Housing U application portal by June 19.
More information can be found here.
Update regarding fall 2020 Housing
Earlier today, an announcement was made by university leadership outlining the U of U’s plan to resume classes on campus on August 24. The U of U Re-Imagined Return to Campus plan includes information about a hybrid delivery of classes and a modified academic calendar. The information below includes important follow-up info for on-campus residents:
Housing & Residential Education (HRE)
In response to the U of U Re-Imagined Return to Campus plan, Housing & Residential Education has made the following adjustments:
- Maintained Room Types: Students will be housed in the room type they reserved, with the exception of triples. Residents will be housed with roommates as originally selected in their Housing U application.
- Modified Academic Calendar: In-person class instruction will end by November 26.
- Residence halls: The new residence hall closing date will be adjusted and an option to extend on-campus housing will be available for all students who wish to remain on campus during the virtual instruction and final exam period, which ends December 11. More information about signing up to extend your stay and the cost associated will be shared soon.
- Apartments and Lassonde Studios: Your contract period is from August through the months of November, December, until the spring semester move-in day. You are able to access your space throughout this time period.
- Move-in Day: We are excited to welcome you to campus in August! In order to provide a socially-distanced and efficient move-in experience, Move-in Day will be adjusted to occur over multiple days on August 18, 19, and 20. Additional instructions and move-in assignments will be shared in mid-June. Please check our Moving In page for the most up-to-date information.
- Contract Cancellation Extension: HRE has extended the contract cancellation deadline without penalty to June 15 so that students can evaluate their individual health and safety plan. While we would like for you to be part of the on-campus community, we understand if this is not the environment that best fits your needs at this time.
- Additional Information & Updates: As shared in the campus update, our community has a shared responsibility to keep each other healthy and well. Next week, you will receive an email with additional information about health and safety in the residence halls. All residents will be required to complete the form included in that email.
University Student Apartments
University Student Apartments continues to offer housing to families and graduate students.
Individuals on the waiting list will be contacted by an Assignments Coordinator for any fall semester apartment availability. For more information, please review their website, apartments.utah.edu.
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we adjust our residence experience to ensure the well-being of our community and prepare for your arrival this fall. Additional updates will be shared via UMail as they are available. Answers to FAQs can be found on our Fall 2020 Updates page. Please contact our office with any additional questions by email at email@example.com or phone at 801-587-2002. We are open Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. — 5 p.m.
For more information about the University of Utah's Return to Campus plan, visit the webpage below.
Due to the evolving COVID-19 situation, the HRE Office is now closed to walk-in guests beginning 8 a.m. on Friday, March 27, until further notice. We will remain open and available to answer your questions Monday—Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. via phone (801-587-2002) and email (firstname.lastname@example.org). If you should need immediate assistance after hours, please call your area’s information desk or email your Resident Director. We know how difficult this change may be and appreciate your understanding.