The University of Utah is actively monitoring the worldwide spread of the respiratory illness COVID-19. The University’s COVID-19 webpage is being updated regularly, and we encourage you to check it frequently for important updates. University of Utah Health also has a helpful webpage with FAQs, practical tips about how to protect yourself from COVID-19, and more.
It will take everyone, working together, to support a safer community this academic year. Adhering to updated policies and guidelines is a responsibility of all residents to ensure the health and well-being of our overall community. Please review the following updates and information regarding living on campus in the era of COVID-19.
- Leaving for Thanksgiving Break? Plan ahead and take a COVID-19 test before you leave! Asymptomatic COVID-19 testing is available on campus to all HRE residents. If you previously signed up for a testing appointment at the Officers Club for Nov. 16-18, that time slot has now changed and is no longer valid. Information about signing up for a COVID-19 test before Thanksgiving Break is coming soon. Test results will be processed in 2 to 3 days—please select a date at least 3 days before your departure date.
- All residents will be required to take a COVID-19 test at the beginning of the Spring 2021 semester. More information about the mandatory spring semester testing process will be shared soon.
Symptomatic Testing: Students who are experiencing ANY symptoms should call (801) 587-0712 and indicate that they are a U of U student. Two symptomatic testing sites are located near campus:
- Madsen Center parking lot: 555 Foothill Drive
- NEW Rice Eccles Stadium parking lot
- All residence hall areas (Chapel Glen, Gateway Heights, Kahlert Village, Sage Point, and Officers Circle) will close on November 25 at 2 p.m. in accordance with the updated fall 2020 academic calendar. Residents in these areas are able to sign up for an extension to remain on campus, learn more here.
- The spring 2021 academic calendar has been updated, and the first day of spring semester courses begins on Tuesday, January 19. Spring 2021 move-in day has been adjusted accordingly and is now on Friday, January 15. Housing and meal plan rates will be modified to reflect the new start date.
- On November 8, Utah Governor Gary Herbert announced an Executive Order, which includes a statewide face covering mandate. Please click here for more information.
- In addition to the statewide Executive Order, University policy requires face coverings to be worn in all common areas on campus. For on-campus residents, this means that face coverings should be worn in indoor areas outside of rooms/apartments. Face coverings are not required outdoors where 6ft physical distance is possible.
- Cloth face coverings should be laundered after each use. See the CDC’s guidelines for washing and drying your face covering:
Guest Policy Updates
- Glass cleaner
- All-purpose cleaner and disinfectant
Cleaning Checklist In Your Room
HRE custodial team members will clean common areas and high traffic areas of campus. All residents should regularly clean their own bedroom and/or bathroom areas:
- Wear reusable or disposable gloves for routine cleaning and disinfection.
- Clean surfaces using soap and water, then use disinfectant. Cleaning with soap and water reduces number of germs, dirt and impurities on the surface. Disinfecting kills germs on the surfaces.
- Practice routine cleaning of frequently touched surfaces such as tables, doorknobs, light switches, countertops, handles, desks, phones, keyboards, toilets, faucets, sinks, etc.