The University of Utah is actively monitoring the worldwide spread of the respiratory illness COVID-19. The University’s COVID-19 webpage is being updated regularly, and we encourage you to check it frequently for important updates. University of Utah Health also has a helpful webpage with FAQs, practical tips about how to protect yourself from COVID-19, and more.
Fall 2020 Updates
Extension Period & Winter Break Housing
To align with the University of Utah’s modified academic calendar and online instruction period, HRE has made adjustments to fall 2020 housing for residents living in residence halls.
Residence hall areas include:
- Chapel Glen
- Gateway Heights
- Sage Point
- Officers Circle
- Kahlert Village
For students living in the above-referenced communities, residence halls will close at 2 p.m. on November 25, 2020. These residents have the option to remain in their spaces during the online instruction period for an additional cost. Otherwise, residents will be required to move out by 2 p.m. on Nov. 25. Students will be able to move back into their spaces for the spring semester beginning January 8, 2021, at 9 a.m.
Online Instruction Extension Period (November 25 - December 12, 2020)
Residents who wish to remain on campus during the online instruction period are required to complete the form in their Housing U portal. The cost is based on the student’s room type and is a flat rate that reflects the entirety of the dates from November 25 - December 12. The student’s meal plan will also extend during this period for an additional cost. Residence hall residents participating in the extension will move out by 2 p.m. on December 12, 2020. For students interested in remaining on campus for winter break, please see the options below.
The changes above do not apply to residents living in off-site properties (Block 44 and Downtown Commons 1 & 2), on-campus apartments (Benchmark Plaza, Shoreline Ridge, Marriott Honors Community), or Lassonde Studios. Instead, the online instruction period and Winter Break dates are built into the cost that residents pay for the full academic year. More information can be found on our Break Housing page.
Winter Break Housing (December 12, 2020 - January 8, 2021)
Chapel Glen, Gateway Heights, Sage Point, & Officers Circle Residents:
- Students who opt into Winter Break housing can request a room at the University Guest House. Residents will pay a special student rate and may choose to stay for any number of nights needed.
Kahlert Village Residents:
- Students will have the option to participate in Winter Break Housing in their academic year room or through the University Guest House. Otherwise, students will need to move out of their space by December 12, 2020.
- Students who request to remain in their residence hall room will pay a flat rate of $420.
- If a student does not wish to remain on campus for the full break, they may also request to stay in the University Guest House for a reduced nightly student rate.
Apartment and Lassonde Studios Residents:
- Winter Break is included in housing contracts for residents living in Benchmark Plaza, Block 44, Downtown Commons 1 & 2, Lassonde Studios, Marriott Honors Community, and Shoreline Ridge. Residents can access their space during winter break as they wish and no additional action is needed.
Fall Update Student/parent Q&A session follow-up
Thanks to all who joined during our Q&A sessions last week! Click below for a full list of the questions we received in those sessions and answers to each question.
Updates to Housing Agreement - Action Required
Earlier this week, we sent you an email with initial information about housing for the fall 2020 semester. While on-campus housing room types and occupancy will remain the same, your residential experience will look different to support the health and well-being of our community. Updates have been made to the housing agreement to ensure residents understand modifications that are in place to address COVID-19 on campus. A full document of those updates can be found here and in the housing portal.
All fall 2020 residents are required to complete the “Resident Addendum to the Housing & Residential Education Agreement” form in the Housing U application portal. You can access the form by following these steps:
- Login to CIS and access the Housing U portal
- On the Housing U home page, select the “Apply for Housing” tab at the top of the page
- Select your 2020 Academic Year Housing Contract
- Read the information and complete the form
All residents must complete this form by June 19.
Student/Family Member Q&A Sessions
Want to hear more about how on-campus housing will look for the fall 2020 semester? Save the date for our Q&A sessions next week. A housing staff member will be available to answer your questions:
- Thursday, June 11: 6 — 7 p.m. MDT
- Friday, June 12: 3 — 4 p.m. MDT
- Saturday, June 13: 10 — 11 a.m. MDT
An email will be sent to your UMail for more information on how to register.
If you no longer wish to live on campus for the fall 2020 semester, you are able to cancel your housing contract without penalty until Monday, June 15. Students can cancel their housing contract in the Housing U portal of your CIS account.
As a fall 2020 resident, you will continue to receive updates via UMail. The next update will be sent by late June and will include additional information about this year’s multi-day move-in process.
Work Where You Live! — Now Hiring in HRE
Looking for an on-campus job? How about a job you don't even have to leave your building to get to? HRE is currently looking for motivated and knowledgeable student leaders to be a part of our team! Our student leaders are positive and welcoming and help HRE feel like a home for our residents! If you like to help others and work in a fun, friendly team, this is the place for you. For more information and to apply, visit our employment page and fill out an online application.
Please contact our office with any additional questions.
Update regarding fall 2020 Housing
Earlier today, an announcement was made by university leadership outlining the U of U’s plan to resume classes on campus on August 24. The U of U Re-Imagined Return to Campus plan includes information about a hybrid delivery of classes and a modified academic calendar. The information below includes important follow-up info for on-campus residents:
Housing & Residential Education (HRE)
In response to the U of U Re-Imagined Return to Campus plan, Housing & Residential Education has made the following adjustments:
- Maintained Room Types: Students will be housed in the room type they reserved, with the exception of triples. Residents will be housed with roommates as originally selected in their Housing U application.
- Modified Academic Calendar: In-person class instruction will end by November 26.
- Residence halls: The new residence hall closing date will be adjusted and an option to extend on-campus housing will be available for all students who wish to remain on campus during the virtual instruction and final exam period, which ends December 11. More information about signing up to extend your stay and the cost associated will be shared soon.
- Apartments and Lassonde Studios: Your contract period is from August through the months of November, December, until the spring semester move-in day. You are able to access your space throughout this time period.
- Move-in Day: We are excited to welcome you to campus in August! In order to provide a socially-distanced and efficient move-in experience, Move-in Day will be adjusted to occur over multiple days on August 18, 19, and 20. Additional instructions and move-in assignments will be shared in mid-June. Please check our Moving In page for the most up-to-date information.
- Contract Cancellation Extension: HRE has extended the contract cancellation deadline without penalty to June 15 so that students can evaluate their individual health and safety plan. While we would like for you to be part of the on-campus community, we understand if this is not the environment that best fits your needs at this time.
- Additional Information & Updates: As shared in the campus update, our community has a shared responsibility to keep each other healthy and well. Next week, you will receive an email with additional information about health and safety in the residence halls. All residents will be required to complete the form included in that email.
University Student Apartments
University Student Apartments continues to offer housing to families and graduate students.
Individuals on the waiting list will be contacted by an Assignments Coordinator for any fall semester apartment availability. For more information, please review their website, apartments.utah.edu.
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we adjust our residence experience to ensure the well-being of our community and prepare for your arrival this fall. Additional updates will be shared via UMail as they are available. Answers to FAQs can be found below. Please contact our office with any additional questions by email at email@example.com or phone at 801-587-2002. We are open Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. — 5 p.m.
For more information about the University of Utah's Return to Campus plan, visit the webpage below.
Deadline extended from June 1 to June 15: Housing & Residential Education is extending the deadline to cancel housing without penalty for the 2020-2021 academic year. Students who cancel housing reservations prior to June 15, 2020 will not be penalized and will be refunded the $200 reservation fee. This extension is intended to provide students with additional time to make decisions about fall housing plans due the changing environment surrounding COVID-19. Cancellations need to be processed by the student via Housing U. More information about the withdraw or contract cancellation process can be found here.
Fall 2020 Frequently Asked Questions
Student health and safety is the top priority for our campus. Residents may expect some changes in order to abide by guidance from local and federal health agencies. Examples of some of these changes may include:
- Increased cleaning and sanitization of high-touch areas in our buildings. Cleaning supplies and disinfectant will be available for students to use, but we encourage students to also bring their own in order to clean their room.
- Dining areas may have modified seating arrangements or be limited to carry-out service only.
- Students should engage in regular hand washing and other good hygiene habits
- Residents that do not have a face covering will be provided one.
- HRE has a resident self-report form that residents will complete if they need support or are symptomatic. This helps us to make arrangements to support the resident and their contacts.
- Guests and visitors will not be allowed during the timeframe of required social distancing.
Students will be housed in the room types they reserved. Residents will be housed with the roommates they selected in their Housing U application. Room types are not being changed with the exception of triple rooms in residence halls and lofts in Lassonde Studios. Students who reserved a triple room in a residence hall or a loft in Lassonde will receive additional information regarding their space.
Residents will notify HRE that they have symptoms using the HRE self-report form. We make contact with the student and roommate(s) to make a plan to support everyone impacted. Residents who are symptomatic will isolate in their room. HRE will have isolation spaces allocated for use by others that may also be impacted. Meal delivery is provided to students.
HRE has extended the contract cancellation period in order to support students in making personal choices regarding their safety planning. If you need a single room due to a disability, you may contact the Center for Disability & Access to schedule an intake appointment to discuss potential ADA housing accommodation options by phone at 801-581-5020 or by visiting their website here.
- All in-person class instruction will end by November 26. HRE will be modifying the end date of the housing contract for the Fall semester. This will decrease the cost for the Fall semester as it will end early. This primarily impacts residents living in Chapel Glen, Gateway Heights, Kahlert Village, Officers Circle, and Sage Point. Housing contracts and bills will be updated for students living in these areas. Students living in a residence hall who wish to extend their stay and remain on campus for the virtual instruction and final exam period through December 11, will be able to do so. More information will be provided soon.
- For students living in an apartment area (Benchmark Plaza, University of Utah at Block 44, Downtown Commons, Marriott Honors Community, Lassonde Studios, and Shoreline Ridge), the option to remain on campus for the virtual instruction and final exam period is built into your housing contract and rate. No adjustments are needed to be made for you to remain on-campus.
- Adjustments are being made to campus dining locations to support social distancing and best practices outlined by local health agencies. At this time, all dining locations are offering carry-out service with minimal on-site seating. Updates will be provided about dining operations prior to Move-in Day.
- Modified dining options will be available for students who choose to extend their stay after Thanksgiving and remain on campus for the virtual instruction and final exam period. More information will be shared about meal plans during the extension period soon.