It is important to talk with your roommates and family about how you will communicate with each other after an emergency. Housing & Residential Education staff have policies and procedures in place to help in times of emergency, but residents are strongly encouraged to be prepared and educated on issues of preparedness.
University Police makes available to all students, staff, and visitors, several services including starting cars with dead batteries and helping students who have locked themselves out of their car. They are unable to do any type of mechanical repairs. Call (801) 585-2677 from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Drop to the floor, Take Cover under a desk, bed, etc. and Hold On to that item to protect you.
- Evacuate the building after the shaking has stopped.
- Check in at your building evacuation point listed below.
- Once a pathway has been cleared, students will go to Stillwell Field, which is west of Officers Circle, or if extensive damage has been done to this area, the meeting point will be on the south side of Heritage Commons at the sand volleyball courts and large parking lot area.
- Utilize stairs, not elevator.
- Stay away from buildings.
- We strongly encourage you to bring a 72 hour kit with you in case of an emergency.
The following are evacuation locations designated by building. Evacuate your building every time you hear an alarm—no exceptions. In the case of an earthquake or large scale incidents that impact several buildings, residents are instructed to go to Stillwell Field located on the west side of Officers Circle or if extensive damage has been done to this area, meet on the south side of Heritage Commons at the sand volleyball courts and parking lot across the road from Benchmark Plaza.
|Chapel Glen||802||Grass area east of building|
|803||Grass area south of building|
|804||Grass area southwest of building|
|Gateway Heights||806||Grass area west side of building|
|807||Grass area west side of building|
|Sage Point||810||PX parking lot west of building|
|811||Grass area northwest of the building|
|812||Parking lot east of building|
|813||Parking lot south of building|
|814||Parking lot northwest of building|
|Benchmark Plaza||820||Grass area south of building|
|821||Grass area north of building|
|822||Grass area north of building|
|Shoreline Ridge||825||Parking lot north of building|
|826||Parking lot north of building|
|827||Parking lot east of building|
|828||Parking lot south of building|
|829||Parking lot south of building|
|830||Parking lot south of building|
|Officers Circle||ALL||Grass area around Gazebo|
|Downtown Commons||1||Parking lot south of building|
|2||Parking lot north of building|
|Marriott Honors Community||All||Parking lot west of building|
|Lassonde Studios||All||Grass area to the north of the parking lot|
It is vitally important that you exit the building quickly in the case of a fire, closing the door behind you. Do not run. Go to the evacuation location for your building. Check in with your RA or other staff who will be taking roll. Housing & Residential Education partners with the Fire Marshal each semester for a fire drill and educational program.
It is important to be prepared in the case of a power outage. Keep a flashlight and fresh batteries on hand in case of an emergency. If a power outage occurs in your building:
- The PHC and Lassonde Studios will continue to serve meals (cold food) during the standard meal times when the power is out.
- Do not use candles.
- Unplug all electrical items in your room in order to avoid any damage in case of a power surge.
- Information will be provided to you via postings in your building.
- If power outage occurs during business hours, the housing office will remain open.
- Make sure all lights are turned off as you leave your room.
- Go to the lowest level of the building.
- Stay away from windows and elevators.
In the case of a medical emergency, call 911 for an ambulance. The following list of hospitals are all located near Heritage Commons and Downtown Commons:
- U of U Hospital: (801) 585-8000
50 North Medical Drive
Salt Lake City, UT 84132
- LDS Hospital: (801) 408-1100
Salt Lake City, UT 84143
- Salt Lake Regional Medical: (801) 350-4111
1050 East South Temple
Salt Lake City, UT 84102
If you are injured on University property including Heritage Commons or Downtown Commons, please report your injury to staff immediately in addition to completing an incident/accident report [PDF]. For medical assistance call 911.