Wireless Network Access
Housing & Residential Education (HRE) residents have wireless access for their laptops, tablets, and phones through UConnect, the University’s encrypted wireless network. UConnect provides unlimited bandwidth access via University of Utah IP space.This can be done by visiting https://onboard.utah.edu and following the steps provided.
Note: Personal wireless networks (access points) will not be allowed in HRE rooms and apartments due to possible interference.
Other Network Devices
HRE residents may use a game console (Xbox, PlayStation, Wii, etc.) or other entertainment device (Apple TV, Roku, TiVo, etc.) on the campus wireless network, ULink .
To register your wireless gaming device:
Visit https://onboard.utah.edu. Log in with your uNID and CIS password, then follow the steps provided. You will be prompted to create a unique password for your device to connect to Ulink. Do not use the same password you use for your uNID and CIS. Do not share this password with other students, staff or faculty.
If you experience any problems, please contact the Campus Help Desk at 801-581-4000, option 1.
Note: Personal wireless networks (access points) will not be allowed in HRE rooms and apartments due to interference with the campus wireless network and security concerns.
Wired Network Access
Each HRE resident is allowed to have one port active in their bedroom for use with a computer. One additional port may be activated in a living area for a second network device. To request an additional port to be activated, call the Campus Help Desk at 801-581-4000, option 1.
All residents of HRE must comply with Network Acceptable Use Policies.
Internet & Connection Support
UTV supports residents when something is not working quite right. You can call in a ticket by dialing 801-581-4000.
The Campus Help Desk is available for students, faculty, staff, and visitors to do the following:
- Report network issues, including wireless
- Report phone issues
- Request assistance troubleshooting
By Phone: (801) 581-4000, option 1 (24/7 support)
By E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (business hours only)
Please include your uNID and contact information, including a phone number.
TV Streaming service
Beginning spring 2021, the cost of Cable or TV streaming service will not included on a resident’s housing bill. However, students can sign up for in-room television streaming provided by Xfinity as an optional service for $6.99/month.
Cable television is still available to all residents in common areas and lounges at no additional cost. Click here to learn more about what Xfinity has to offer and sign up below.
What is Xfinity On Campus (XOC)?
- No longer just a dorm room option!
- Anywhere on campus that you can find the campus network (UConnect, UGuest, etc.), you can use your laptop, desktop or mobile device to live stream 200 channels of Sports (including Pac12), News and Entertainment and 60 music channels, plus on-demand shows and hundreds of movies. You can also upgrade your service with other premium channels for a small monthly fee. Supported OS are Apple, Android, and Kindle.
- Restrictions? You can only stream on one device at a time.
- Record your favorites with Xfinity Stream DVR - Work around your class and finals schedule.
- Manage your DVR from any device to ensure you'll never miss a thing.
- Record and watch two shows at once.
- Includes 20 hours of recording storage.
- Download and watch even when you're offline.
- Now you can watch content from anywhere. Use the TV-Go option to watch over 40 channels of live video and listen to over 60 channels of music. Download the Xfinity Stream app to watch on your mobile device.
- You can also watch anything you recorded on your XOC DVR, and you can download the content to watch even while you're offline! Find it on the Apple App Store, Google Play and Amazon.
- Additionally, you can use your school credentials to login to over 91 TV Everywhere partner networks when off-campus.
How To Access XOC
How to use it? Once you've signed up for this service through HRE, follow these three simple steps:
1. Go to www.xfinityoncampus.com and Enter University of Utah in the search field.
2. Enter your CIS credentials.
Note: University employees will also have to use DUO to complete the login process.
3. Choose your option: “Watch Now” or “My DVR” and Enjoy!